Read our new, updated Moving House Checklist for everything you need to do in preparation for a house move. Or, better still, print out a copy to keep with you to help you plan for a stress-free move. Keep reading or just skip to the end and download the printable version.
1. Plan and Organise:
- Fix your moving date and book the day off work (if necessary).
- Give notice to your landlord (if applicable).
- Research and book a reliable removals company or hire a van for a DIY move.
- Research and arrange a new child-minder, nursery or school place if needed.
- Book kennels or a cattery for the move if needed for pets.
2. Declutter and Sort:
- Start going through your belongings and decide what to keep, donate or discard.
- Gather important documents, such as passports, and keep them in a safe place.
- Return any borrowed items to friends or family.
- For more details see our Ultimate Guide to Moving House.
3. Change of Address and Utilities:
- Set up mail forwarding to your new address with the Post Office for 3 – 6 months.
- Inform banks and credit card companies of your new address and moving date.
- Arrange for utility disconnection at your old home and connection at the new one.
4. Notify Everyone:
- Inform your employer, HMRC and insurance providers about your move.
- Inform friends and family about your new address.
- Notify the council of your change of address and cancel council tax payments.
- Notify phone and internet providers of new address and the moving date.
5. Start Packing Early:
- Gather packing materials: boxes, tape, labels, bubble wrap and marker pens.
- As soon as possible, begin packing non-essential items.
- Put labels on sides of boxes showing what is inside and which room it belongs to.
- Pack fragile items with care and use proper padding.
- Keep essential items separate for easy access during the move.
6. Prepare for Moving Day:
- Confirm the removal company’s arrival time or coordinate help with a DIY move.
- Pack a separate bag with essential items for the first few days in your new home.
- Empty and defrost your fridge and freezer (if applicable).
7. Final Checks on Moving Day:
- Double-check each room to ensure nothing is left behind.
- Read gas, electricity and water meters and take photos of the readings.
- Turn off lights, lock windows, and secure your old home.
- Leave all the sets of keys as agreed with the estate agent or letting agent.
- Take photos or videos of the condition of your old home for reference.
8. Settling into Your New Home:
- Clean your new home before moving in – it’ll be easier without your belongings.
- Unpack essential items first and gradually unpack the rest.
- Register at a local doctor’s surgery and dentist if you are moving to a new area
- Update your driving license, and vehicle registration document.
- Notify TV Licensing and voter registration of your new address
Good luck with your move!